Not all black salts are the same. There is Black Ritual Salt (to ward off bad spirit) which is not for eating, then there is Black Lava Salt (sea salt blended with activated charcoal) a simple condiment, and finally there is Himalayan Black Salt, also known as Kala Namak that will be talked about today.
Black Himalayan Black salt is created from ancient rock salt from the Himalayan mountains. Commonly used in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal. It is composed of sodium and other minerals that give Black Himalayan Salt its particular colour, taste and smell.
Raw pink Himalayan salt is fired in a furnace for 24 hours sealed in a ceramic jar with charcoal and traditional barks and herbs. The fired salt is then cooled and aged. This process transforms the salt to a dark black-purple colour and the naturally occurring sodium sulphate transform into the sulphurs with pungent taste and smell.
This salt is not black but rather a reddish-grey, When ground to a powder, the colour is purple-grey. Black and Pink Himalayan salt are not interchangeable as they have different health properties and very different taste smell.
Ayurveda or Ayurvedic medicine, classical Indian medicine, tells us that Black Himalayan Salt, Kala Namak as may therapeutic benefits. It is a rich source of iron, can treat flatulence and indigestion. Black Fermented Himalayan Salt is cooling and used as a laxative and digestive aid.
According to Ayurveda doctors, Black Himalayan Salt (Kala Namak) is the most beneficial form of salt because unlike common salt, it doesn’t increase the sodium content of blood and therefore recommended for patients with high blood pressure and low-salt eating dieters. It is also a rejuvenator while aiding digestion and improving eyesight. It is said to aid in digestion and soften the bowel.
BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) is a complex mineral compound with strong sulphur content. The flavour hits quickly then dissipates to leave a rich mineral salt taste. Chemically, black salt is sodium chloride, with iron, sulphurous compounds and trace minerals.
This salt has a pungent smell. This may seem strong when the container is first opened but when using a small amount in cooking this is mild and very satisfying in both smell and taste.
Himalayan Black salt, when in authentic Indian cooking, is used extensively as a condiment or added to chaats, chutneys, raitas and many other savoury snacks. Chaat Masala is dependent upon black salt for its characteristic aroma and flavour.
In Vegan cooking the sulphur in Black Himalayan salt give foods an egg depth and flavour similar to boiled eggs. When used in vegan dishes, it adds a richness and depth of flavour.
Black salt can be a great spice for many different foods; here are some uses for black salt:
- Fresh Fruit – Sprinkle on fresh cut fruit such as apples and bananas for a delicious treat.
- Adds a richness and brings out the flavour of Soups and Stews
- In Condiments – regularly used in small quantities in chutneys, raitas, pickles and many other savoury Indian snacks, adding a very different flavour than just using regular salt.
- TOFU – spice tofu to mimic an egg salad or add to Scrambled tofu for added depth of flavour.
- Fish add to flour for coating
- Fantastic with avocado.
Tips and Traditional Uses
- Himalayan Black Salt Sole – Salt saturated water used medicinally in or as a tonic. 1 tsp per day.
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) is considered a cooling spice in Ayurvedic medicine and is used as a laxative and digestive aid.
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) is also believed to relieve intestinal gas and heartburn.
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) Aids digestion
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) Helps improve eyesight
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) Helps to lower high blood pressure
- BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) Combats flatulence and heartburn
DESCRIPTION: Kala Namak –Black Salt is a dark, crushed rock salt with a strong sulphur smell and taste reminiscent of hard-boiled eggs. It is All Natural.
ORIGIN: Kala Namak – Black Himalayan Salt (Kala Namak) is hand mined in Pakistan.
ADDITIVES: Kala Namak –Black Himalayan Salt contains no anti-caking or free flowing additives or conditioners.
INGREDIENTS: BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak).
APPLICATIONS: Kala Namak–Black Himalayan Salt is a gourmet salt.
CHEMICAL ANALYSIS: Analysis demonstrated that BLACK HIMALAYAN SALT (Kala Namak) provides a wide variety of minerals and trace elements. The following lists the most predominant elements revealed by analysis.
Sodium Chloride (NaCl) 97.46%
Magnesium (MgCl2) 0.25%
Sulfate (Na2SO4) 0.88%
Calcium Sulfate (CaCl2) 0.38%
Iron (Fe++) 3.00%
Water Insolubles 1.00%